Man is a social animal and having friends is a basic need. What I want to share with you here is not just life lesson I picked up but also some marketing advice.
When you go to, say, a restaurant and the waitress would greet you with her smile and memorized spiel, you can immediately gauge the degree of friendliness or connection she has with you, right? Give her a score: 10 for Best Friends Forever (BFF) experience to 1 for “like talking to an answering machine.”
When doing business is also making friends
We were taught in sales classes or in business school the rudiments of how to deal with clients, the presentation skills, closing techniques, etc. But I never recalled or even know of any school or organization that teaches you how to connect to a client, and making friends with them. I guess it all boils down to skill, practice and timing. But I believe there are people with an inherent ability or the knack for it. I’m sure you’ve come across that friendly cashier of some fast-food diner that after getting your order or paying the bill, you feel like best friends already. That’s connection.
It may be upbringing, it may be skill, or it may be life attitude. But wherever it may came from, making friends can be taught and can be learned.
Here are my tips to change that snooty look to an engaging or appealing personality:
- Always have a happy disposition in life. A cheerful heart exudes an aura that attracts rather than dispel. Something that can be read but not necessarily seen;
- Keep that smile on your face. There is that certain cheerful smile followed by that one-second eyebrow rise that says it all. And besides, nobody likes to make friends be with a grumpy, grouchy looking person;
- Always have a joke handy. It doesn’t matter if it’s not funny just as long as you can laugh to it. The corniest joke becomes funny with a skillful delivery;
- Tell a funny story about the clumsy you, something dumb or stupid about you. When you are making friends, these kinds of jokes work all the time. A famous rock star once said, “It doesn’t matter if they laugh with you or laugh at you. What matters is they laugh because of you;”
- Never, ever say anything negative about anybody. It’s not good practice and you can be attracting negative vibrations. It only works well for gossip lovers.
Hey, these are the basic tip on how to be friendly. I’m sure you heard about them before, but it’s worth repeating and repeating. These are just a few; there are more, lots more. But you can start from these.
Guys, listen up, this is what gets the girls. Girls, this is what attracts to guys. A pretty face is no match to a friendly personality. There is the X-factor to that. There is the connection.